History of Hampton Township
Old Hampton Township Hall
Hampton Township’s Comprehensive Plan was initiated and completed by the Hampton Township Board and Planning Commission. Technical assistance in the preparation of the plan was provided by the Dakota County Planning Department. The plan contains a complete analysis of the many social, economic and physical factors that make up the Township’s patterns of development.
The area that is known today as Hampton Township began its settlement in 1854 when John Bell made a claim just north of the present City of Hampton. The early claims were concentrated mainly on the north and eastern sections of the Township. The settlers, most of whom were German, sometimes had problems with land ownership. Some settlers found that much of the land had already been claimed by someone else before their arrival.
The Township was officially established by the Dakota County Board of Commissioners on April 6, 1858. At this time, the Township also included the area of Randolph Township, but that was set apart on September 18th of the same year. Hampton received its name after a place in Connecticut. The name was chosen after much debate between two other suggestions of which were – Holden and Bellville, both of which were derived from the names of early settlers in the area.
By 1870, Hampton already had 930 residents. Mail was delivered daily on a Hastings to Faribault route. When the railroad arrived, the mail service was taken over by the train system and service was declined to 2xs a week.